Monday, February 18, 2008

Cinq questions avec outputmessage


outputmessage was born in the year 2214 in a small galaxy far away. he comes in peace in the hope that we earthlings will better understand the future and its implications.

Cutting the crap, Bernard Farley, a 24 year old Virginia Tech mathematics graduate, is a DC resident producing some of the most lucid, compelling music of our time. Since being named to URB magazine's Next 100 in 2006, he has gone on to produce tracks appearing on a multitude of compilations, has a recording contract with Melodic UK, and is currently hosting a successful Washington, D.C. club night every last Thursday. Aside from that, Bernard is a teacher and one of the friendliest, most polite folks you'll ever encounter. His production credits include some of my favorite ambient and IDM music, including a sensational, spine-tingling track called Marcheurs De Sommeil (Sleepwalkers).

Here are five questions with outputmessage:

lindsaylovesme: How did you get introduced to electronic music?

outputmessage: Back when I was in 8th grade one of my friends showed me the MTV Amp compilation (remember that show?) which had a bunch of great electronic music actually, but the track that stood out to me was "Girl/Boy Song" by Aphex Twin. At around the same time, another friend showed me the Hackers soundtrack which had Underworld's song "Cowgirl" on it.

lindsaylovesme: Who is your favorite painter / sculptor / fine artist?

outputmessage: I'm not super into fine art, but Salvador Dali and Matthew Barney are some names that come to mind.

lindsaylovesme: Why do you think bangers were so big in 2007 and what do you think the trend will be for 2008?

outputmessage: Maybe people wanted to forget that there was still a whole 2 years left of Bush's reign and they needed some abrasive club music to help to do that. More seriously, I think its possibly because of the emergence of indie rock music in the dance and pop scenes. Bangers have this big rock feel to it. It's dance-able and you can rock your head to it with all of the cut-ups, abrasive synths, and huge beats.

lindsaylovesme: Who is your favorite WWF wrestler?

outputmessage: You know, my students have asked me this question way too many times. I didn't know inner-city kids were so into wrestling. I haven't watched that stuff since I was young, but my favorite wrestler used to be The Undertaker.

lindsaylovesme: If you had to choose one artist who you think totally sucks and you are mystified about why they are so popular, who would it be?

outputmessage: I really want to say Nickelback, but that's just too easy. Um, let's talk about Fergie for a second. OK, she's a pop star, blah blah blah...but did you know the most downloaded song of 2007 on iTunes was that song "Big Girls Don't Cry (Personal)". Of all the songs she's released, that has to be worse. A lyric like "I'm going to miss you like a child misses their blanket" is inexcusable. Shame on you America.

Bonus: What is the best club night in DC?

outputmessage: Well, besides the excellent fun that is had every last Thursdays at Napoleon (wink wink), I would have to say Nouveau Riche is quite good with DJ Gavin Holland. They give you free Sparks there too, how can I complain?


Check back shortly for an exclusive mix made for lindsaylovesme by my favorite IDM artist, outputmessage, and enjoy the tracks below.


outputmessage "Girls and Make-up" (exclusive unreleased track)

http://www.zshare.net/audio/77814385a2bde6/

Measles Mumps Rubella "Libra Science" (outputmessage remix)

http://www.zshare.net/audio/77819637e6607f/

Evan Scott "Crane" (outputmessage remix)

http://www.zshare.net/audio/77822228fc573b/


http://www.myspace.com/outputmessage

No comments: