Monday, October 6, 2008

5 Questions with DJ Pumpkin Patch


It is my distinct pleasure to welcome DJ Pumpkin Patch into the fold for a quick soundbyte. You might remember him for his Daft Crunk mixtape featured on Bigstereo or his more recent Summer Knights mix that we posted a couple months ago. Since then the gourd-like squash afficionado has been working on remixes of David Bowie, MGMT, and Earth, Wind and Fire, which we'll keep our eyes out for. He's also playing at this year's CMJ Music Marathon and Film Festival in New York alongside acts like Cool Kids, Todosantos (who put on a mental live show!), and Talib Kweli. Let's get down to it and hear what Pumpkin's got to say!
  • lindsaylovesme: Living in New York, how has the sub-prime crisis affected your life and music? If you ever consider doing a Wall Street parody tune, can you give me a shoutout?
  • DJ Pumpkin Patch: In my day to day life, I don't really see any evidence that Wall Street exists, and I'm sure Wall Street has no idea that I exist. Living in New York has been a double edged sword in that it takes all of my money away so I can't buy more fun music toys, but she also provides me with never ending inspiration and opportunity to experiment with music and DJing. If Wall Street asked me to make a theme song for the markets, I would, and it would be awesome, and everyone would invest in it.
  • lindsaylovesme: Bushwick is being taken over by scenesters. Which neighborhood is next? How long until it is considered funky fresh to live in Queens, or will that never happen?
  • DJ Pumpkin Patch: I wouldn't say Bushwick is being "taken over" necessarily, I think it's more that realtors are tricking newbies into thinking that the knickerbocker M stop is in Williamsburg. Next hot hood - maybe Long Island City? The streets there smell like donuts.
  • lindsaylovesme: Do you know the true identities of Chewy Chocolate Cookies, Fake Blood, or Burial? Keeping it secret: Cool or not cool?
  • DJ Pumpkin Patch: Dude, I dont know who anyone is. Well that's not true, but I think the anonymity thing can be cool sometimes. But like anything, it's lame when people get too into it. If it's cool for Daft Punk to reveal their true names, it's cool if anyone does it. These guys, Claymation Velociraptor seem to be pretty good at keeping the secret, but I'm determined to find out who those handsome devils are...
  • lindsaylovesme: What's your day job?
  • DJ Pumpkin Patch: I work as an assistant in a post production recording studio. I am underpaid.
  • lindsaylovesme: Two parts: who is your favorite act coming out of Australia lately, and which artist or song in the blog world do you simply cannot stand? I've been hearing a lot of hate on Crookers and Girl Talk, what kind of music makes you furrow your brow when you walk into a club?
  • DJ Pumpkin Patch: Gotta be unoriginal on this and say Cut Copy. They are sort of a buzz band right now, but I really love their new album. People hate on their live show, but I saw them at Studio B a bit back and they were awesome. Not really my place to bash other artists, but there are a few sounds that are popular these days that I just can't deal with. So much shit has that "woooww woooww wooooww" bassline that is not melodic or interesting. It's just that sound that for some reason people keep overusing. I also hate when people put a bmore break over a classic rock track and call that a remix. Don't do that. Please.

Check out the track "Long Train Running" sampling track below (it sparkles and the production is most excellent!) and be sure to look out for DJ Pumpkin Patch in a blog and club near you!

DJ Pumpkin Patch "Doobie Bras"

http://www.mediafire.com/?iy2tqj7zaj2

No comments: