- Oz, in my opinion, is the current world capital of modern music, having usurped France with the release of both the Cut Copy and Van She albums in the same year. Can't touch this. This week we have the privilege of talking to a couple of up-and-coming electronic producers from Sydney, Australia. White Dorks is the name and tech house and fidget is the game. Here we go with the 5Q, thanks again boys!
- Lindsaylovesme: I like the name. It's a little on the self-deprecating side but it's cool. Have you guys been to stuffwhitepeoplelike.com? What are some white people things you are into?
- White Dorks: Yeah, we love throwing up the fake gang signs and talking like the Snoop Dogg dizzle.
- Lindsaylovesme: Why do you think the Australian music scene evolved so quickly, producing such fantastic music, with just a third of the population of the UK? You guys are making the rest of the world look bad!
- White Dorks: I guess it’s the advancement in technology. It’s a lot easier than before to not only make music but to get it out as well, especially with the blogs. A lot of well known artists browse them and you can get noticed by the labels. I know a lot of Aussie artists who have been signed after getting lots of blog love...
- Lindsaylovesme: Which new artists in Australia do you see on the verge of mp3 blog greatness?
- White Dorks: Hump day project, Csk ok, The sniffles, Ghetto ruckus, Destroy Disco, Kid n bird.
- Lindsaylovesme: As a Chicagoan, I hear "Do the Wobble" and it takes me back to the rave scene in the late 90s. What kind of feeling were you trying to capture with the song?
- White Dorks: I've been listening to a lot of fidget and Baltimore recently which was an influence in this track. The piano sample was actually taken from an old rave record and I built it from there.
- Lindsaylovesme: What is coming up next from you two in terms of remixes, original production, and shows? Do you guys have day jobs?
- White Dorks: We have a few original tracks in the works and a just finishing a remix for Sydney lad r!m!e. A new mix cd is on the way too. We are playing at Shindig @ Value in Melb on the 13th Sept which is always fun. Midgets in Superman costumes serving shots and all. Crazy fun. Yeah we both have day jobs, we don't make enough money from music unfortunately. Hopefully one day I’ll make enough and quit the day job. Ahhhh...Live the dream.
- Thanks again guys, and good luck with your little people in Superman costumes party (yes I am an avid viewer of "Little People, Big World" and the m word ain't cool). For a slice of Australian house happiness, check out "Do The Wobble", and also their new track "Two Birds One Stone".
White Dorks - "Do The Wobble"
White Dorks - "Two birds one stone"